How to Fold a Pocket Square
Just like there are hundreds of ways you can tie a necktie, there are many different ways you can fold your pocket squares. The type of pocket square fold you choose is not only personal preference, but depends on your ensemble, the occasion, and the type of pocket square you are folding. We at Ties-Necktie have selected five of the most popular folds below.
Classic & Formal – The "Presidential Fold"
This type of fold is most common for solid white pocket squares. Best are those hankies that are made from a thicker and slightly stiffer fabric. A perfect choice are lightly starched linen pocket squares, or pocket squares made from Thai silk.
- Lay the pocket square on a flat surface and straighten it with the palm of your hand
- Fold the pocket square in the middle and flatten it to create a fold that stays in place – just like you would when folding a piece of paper.
- Now fold the pocket square up on one side. How much you need to fold up depends on the depth of your breast pocket as well as the size of the pocket square. Fold enough up so that ¼ - 3/4 of an inch is showing when tugged inside your breast pocket.
- Place the folded pocket square in your breast pocket and style to your preference.
Traditional – The One Tip Up Fold
This type of fold is one of the most common ways to fold a pocket square. It matches most pocket square designs and suits most dress codes. Although quite versatile, we like this type of fold most when worn with solid color pocket squares.
- Start out by laying your pocket square on a flat, hard, and clean surface.
- Fold one side up to create a symmetrical triangle. Make sure to create a solid fold at the edge which will ensure that the pocket square will keep the shape.
- Fold one side of the triangle in. Again, create a solid fold that stays in place.
- Do the same on the other side. How much you fold in depends on the size of the pocket square and the size of the breast pocket.
- Place the folded pocket square in your breast pocket and give it some final styling.
Two Tips Up Pocket Square Fold
Looking for a slightly less formal way to wear your pocket square? Then this type of fold will be a perfect choice. It looks good with solid as well as patterned pocket squares. It is a fold that’s a little trickier and will require a little bit of practice.
- As with all folds, lay the pocket square on a flat and clean surface.
- Fold one side over. It should look like two overlapping triangles and two tips should be showing at the top.
- Take one side and fold it over.
- Do the same on the other side. Again, how much is folded in depends on the pocket square size and the width of the breast pocket.
- Place the folded pocket square in your breast pocket and adjust to your preference.
Three Tips Up – The "Crown" Fold
Looking for a more challenging fold? Then the "crown fold" may just be perfect for you. This type of fold looks great with solid as well as patterned pocket squares. It is suited for formal functions (when worn with solids) as well as casual and business attire.
- Place the pocket square on a flat and clean surface.
- Just like you do for the “Two Tip Up Fold”, fold one side of the pocket square in. It should look like two overlapping triangles.
- The third “Tip” is created by folding one side over towards the top – right next to the other two tips.
- Fold the opposite side over. Make sure to give it a good and solid crease. This is more important than with any other fold since there is no supporting opposite side.
- Place the pocket square in your breast pocket and adjust to your liking.
The Casual "Puff" Fold
The loose and relaxed look of this folding technique is ideal for patterned pocket squares. It is a more casual fold and pocket squares with paisley patterns, checks, foulards, and other designs are excellent choices. It is a great fold when wearing a blazer or sports coat.
- Lay the pocket square on a flat surface.
- Pinch it near the center with two fingers and pick the pocket square up.
- Slide the Pocket Square through you’re your other hand.
- Turn the pocket square over and tug it into your breast pocket. Adjust to your preference.
Other Great Resources You May Like
Mens Fashion Blog
We at Ties-Necktie.com regularly update our fashion blog. Besides learning about company news and our latest addition of neckties, you will find dress code tips, advice on how to match your clothing, find out about the lasts mens fashion trends, and much more. You can also subscribe to our blog and get e-mail notifications about the latest updates.
How to Tie a Tie
Learn the most popular and most elegant ways to tie your necktie with our tie-knot instructions. Besides illustrations we also included several video tutorials. Learning how to tie your necktie has never been easier.
Mens Fashion Encyclopedia
Our fashion encyclopedia is a complete resource on mens fashion. Read about famous fashion designers, learn about different fabrics and textiles, find out about clothing items, and much more.